Aquamarine the Birthstone of March
Birthstone of March
MARCH: The birthstones for this month are Aquamarine & Bloodstone.
Both gemstones are very different from one another in appearance, yet they each make beautiful jewelry pieces.
Aquamarine and bloodstone are the two birthstones for this month. One evokes blue skies and calming waters while the other symbolizes health and strength. These two birthstones are very different from each other when it comes to appearance. Still, they share a similar reputation for protecting one’s well-being. The first one evokes the sea’s colors from deep green-blue to light, slightly greenish blue hues, symbolizing the purity of spirit and soul. The second one is typically a dark-green cabochon that contains red spots, the “blood” that brings health and strength to the wearer.
Aquamarine is named after the beautiful blue sea as its the combination of two words, aqua and marina, meaning seawater. Sailors used aquamarine to give them good luck on the seas and to ensure a safe voyage. Aquamarine belongs to the Beryl Family same family as the Emerald. Aquamarine is most often light in hue and ranges from greenish blue to blue-green. This adorable gemstone is mined mainly in Pakistan, but it is also found in Brazil, Nigeria, Madagascar, Zambia, and Mozambique. Aquamarine grows in large, hexagon crystals that can be up to a foot long. This makes it an excellent gemstone to be cut and polished for bold statement jewelry pieces.
|Zodiac||Aries, Gemini, Scorpio, Aquarius, Pisces|
|Hardness||7.5 to 8|
Healing Properties of Aquamarine:
Courage, Calming, Good health, Inspiration, Inner Strength, Peace, Serenity, Soothing, Safe travel on water, Self-confidence, Stability in married life.Influence of Aquamarine on People:
- Aquamarine is known as the stone of courage; its calming attribute reduces stress and quiets the soul bringing inner peace.
- It eases fears and increases sensitivity because of its affinity with sensitive people.
- Aquamarine is useful for closure at many levels because it clarifies perception and clears confusion.
- It is highly protective during pregnancy; it reduces the possibility of miscarriage and helps to guard both mother and baby.
- It is also used to cure infirmities related to stomach, besides offering relief from throat and liver troubles.
- Astrologists recommend aquamarine for promoting leadership qualities, self-confidence, good health, and stability in married life.
Bloodstone belongs to the Chalcedony Quartz family; it’s green in color with red spots, the red spots were believed to be the blood of Prophet Isa, and the stone was thought to have miraculous powers. Bloodstone is also called heliotrope, which means “to turn the sun.”
There are two varieties of bloodstone: heliotrope, which is more transparent with red spots, and plasma, which is more opaque and has few or no red spots. It also comes in many forms and cuts, including traditional cuts like cushion, oval, and emerald.Bloodstone Associations:
|Zodiac||Aries, Libra, Pisces|
|Color||Dark green, or greenish-blue with red sports|
Healing Properties of Bloodstone:
Abundance, Alignment, Good fortune, Generosity, Idealism, Purification, Smooth energy flow.Influence of Bloodstone on People:
- Bloodstone is a great blood cleanser and powerful protecting and healing stone.
- Bloodstone draws off negative energies and provides protection against an ‘evil eye.’
- It gives courage and teaches us how to avoid dangerous situations as well as encourages selflessness and idealism.
- Bloodstone dispels confusion and calms the mind, enhancing decision-making.
- Bloodstone is also helpful in healing blood-related cancers such as leukemia.
|Bloodstone||Traditional March Birthstone|
|Amethyst||Pisces (Star Sign)|
|Jade||Mystical March Birthstone|
|Sapphire||Pisces (Star Sign)|
|Ruby||Pisces (Talismanic Stone)|
|Diamond||Aries (Star Sign)|
|Jasper||Aries (Planetary Stone)|
|Topaz||Aries (Talismanic Stone)|
|Opal||Ancient Hindu March Birthstone|